- 27 July – Faith meal St John’s Catholic School for the Deaf,
1-4pm please bring food to share.
- 10 August – Mass Saturday 6pm St Anne’s Cathedral interpreted by Lynn
- 14 September – Mass Saturday 6pm St Anne’s Cathedral, Cathedral House Great George Street, Cathedral House, Leeds LS2 8BE, BSL interpreted by Anna Smith
43rd Metro Athletics Open 2019
22 June 2019
Date: Sat 22nd June 2019 Venue: Mile End Stadium, London, E14 7TW
Click here for a Metro Games Entry Form 2019
Hosted by London Borough of Tower Hamlets and GLL, supported by Carmen Butler Charities Charitable Trust and the Roden Family Foundation.
Metro Blind Sport – Welcomes athletes of all ages and experience throughout the UK to join us in our annual competition’s ‘43rd year!
The morning ‘Come and Try Coaching Session’ will once again provide those new to the sport a brilliant opportunity to try out running, jumping and throwing in a fun and relaxed atmosphere, supported by qualified coaches. If you haven’t tried an event before and want to compete in the afternoon, or are looking to improve your performance this is the place for you.
The 2019 programme will be run under UKA/IBSA rules and is open to males and females of all ages. The athletics competitions are principally for registered blind and partially sighted people.
Every competitor will receive a free t-shirt along with either a medal and/or performance certificate. Free packed lunches will be provided for all competitors, coaches, officials and volunteers. *Guide Runners may be arranged with advance notice, you will need to provide an estimate of your track times.
Guest competitors are welcome but no medals or certificates can be awarded.
Entry form and Information
- Entry:FREE including packed lunch, t-shirt, medals/performance certificate
- Please complete and return the form attached below, by email to email@example.com
- Download Entry Form here:blindsport.uk/AthleticsOpen2019
- If you would like help to complete the entry form then please telephone Charlie on 07956292046
- The closing date for Entries is Saturday 01st June 2019, if you require Accommodation the closing date is 31st March 2019
Come and Try Session starts 10.00am – 11.30am, open to all ages, an ideal opportunity to access specialist coaching in track and field disciplines.
Competition starts 12.00 noon, listed below are all events grouped under the relevant age ranges. Results will be uploaded to Power of 10 as soon as possible.
Event closes after final Medal Ceremony – 5.00pm
- Under 12 (Age at 01.01.2019) – Boys and Girls (4 events only) 60m, 100m, Standing Long Jump, Ball Throw, For B1 athletes only)
- Under 14 (Age at 01.01.2019) – Boys and Girls (4 events only) 100m, 800m, Long Jump, High Jump, Shot, Discus, Javelin, (For B1 athletes only – called 60m),
- Under 17(Age at 01.01.2019) – Boys and Girls (4 events only)100m, 800m, Long Jump, High Jump, Shot, Discus, Javelin, (For B1 athletes only – called 60m),
- Senior Ladies and Men (18 – 34)100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, 5000m, Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Shot, Discus, Javelin
- Vets Ladies and Men (Over 35) 100m, 800m, 5000m, Long Jump, Shot
The track (Mile End Stadium) and the accommodation (Queen Mary University) are within walking distance of Mile End Tube Station (Central and District line).
- Athletes aged Under 12, 14 or 17 may take part in up to four individual events in any one day.
- Senior Athletes may take part in a maximum of five events. These will consist of either 3 track and 2 field, or 2 track and 3 field on the day.
- Electronic timing will be used on all track races.
- B3 and B4 athletes are reminded that competition rules do not allow any concessions to assist performance. (No Guide Runners)
- ALL B1 ATHLETES MUST PROVIDE AND USE THEIR OWN SHADES. Time permitting there will be a Fun Relay for all competitors during the afternoon including parents and coaches.
- Photos: A gallery of high resolution photos will be available in the week after this event. We will share a link with you where you can view and select, following a donation of your choosing, the photos you would like to keep. Please take note of the number/s and send these to firstname.lastname@example.org. Saul will setup an individual WeTransfer link (available for 7 days only) for you to download the Digital High Res Photo/s you have chosen to your pc. Photo requests are on a first come, first serve basis only and will be processed when time allows. Donations can be made via the website donate button http://bit.ly/MBSDonatePage
In order for as many events as possible to take place, it may be necessary to merge sight categories thereby ensuring the maximum number of individual ‘event requests’ are met. We recognise this could lead to a miss-match in functional sight levels, however our aim with the ‘Metro Athletics Open’ is to always offer the widest range of opportunities for athletes to compete. We view this as a preferable option to cancelling events with low numbers.
The closing date for Entries is Saturday 01st June 2019, if you require Accommodation the closing date is 31st March 2019.
Accommodation: This will be available on Friday and Saturday night (21st and 22nd) at the aforementioned Queen Mary University of London. Please note there is a further reduction for those under the age of 18. A separate form is available for accommodation requests, please email email@example.com
Healthwatch Leeds want to find out how people with visual impairment access health and social care services. We are an independent organisation set up to ensure that people have a voice in their care.
Can you spare 10 mins to fill in @HWLeeds survey?
The Friendship Cafe will be open for Deaf people and Blind people on Sunday 3rd February 2019 between 2pm and 4pm.
Come down and have a chat and laugh with some familiar faces…..and make some new friends.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon.
Click here for poster: Friendship Cafe 2019 poster
The Society is proud to announce our first BSL courses at The Centre will run from September:
6:30pm till 9pm
Start: September 2018
6:30pm till 9pm
Starts: September 2018
1 x Saturday per month
9am till 4:30pm
1 x Saturday per month
9am till 4:30pm
Click here for an Enrolment form
Sunnybank Mills (Farsley,Pudsey) LS28 5UJ are offering a free Life Drawing Session to any burgeoning, blossoming, blooming or would be artist, who is deaf or hard of hearing, on Thursday 11th October from 7 pm to 9 pm.
There will be a BSL interpreter to assist Kim Coley the tutor.
There will also be a male or female model to pose for the class.
Materials will be provided – all you need to do is turn up.
One to one tuition will be given, the objective being to encourage and develop an individual’s unique drawing skills.
If you would like to see what exciting events take place at Sunnybank Mills Gallery visit their website/ facebook (sunnybankmillsgallery)/ twitter (@sunnybankmills)/ instagram (@sunnybankmills) .
- Open to anyone
- Quiz signed in BSL
Come and have lots of Fun!
The Centre, St Mary’s Street, Leeds, LS9 7DP
Thursday 19th July 2018
2pm till 4pm
For more information please contact Steven Gibson (Deaf)
Mobile: 07786 390 315
World Café Day
SATURDAY 21st APRIL 2018
LEEDS DEAF CENTRE
(though likely to be cheaper if we have good numbers)
The idea of the day is to carousel around different facilitated groups discussing certain professional or practical interpreting dilemmas through scenarios and how one would resolve these.
We want this to be an enjoyable day, to get together, socialise, share ideas and look at different perspectives whilst considering the codes of conduct and the code of ethics in a safe, supportive environment.
Finishing off with a plenary session the day will hopefully give us more insight and reflection shaping how practice moving forward both as individuals and collectively.
The day will be worth structured 6 CPD hours – the more interpreters attend the richer the experience!
Open to all registered interpreters and regulated trainee interpreters
If you are interested, please contact email firstname.lastname@example.org